Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blog Assignment 13

This blog assignment is the perfect example of our class motto: "I don't know; Let's find out." It all spurred off on a question a student asked. "How Much has China actually grown over the last three years?" Let's find out, shall we?
The red highlighted portion shows pop. from 2008-2011
The current population of China = 1.35 billion people (2010 est.). It is 1/5 of the world's total population! It has steadily grown over the past three years.

wolfarm alpha logoWOW. The U.S.A has 309 million people...India has 1.21 billion people. What a major difference! I knew the United States had a much smaller populous compared to India, China, and Africa. It still blows my mind. Now to Dr. Strange's questions:
1) Yes, I knew about WolframAlpha. I had used it back in high school for an assignment similar to the one above and something with math I think.
2) I think I have heard about Google Squared, however, I can't find it and cannot access it though the link. I found an article about it though and it is pretty interesting...Tech Crunch
3) The population of the United States is only 22.8% of China's population.
4) The Population of the United States is only 25.5% of India's population.
That is mind blowing.
5) The facts in Did You Know? 3.0 are right on target. I watched that video again and it gave me chills.
6) Yes. It will be useful for me when I want to find out statistics about the kinds of children in my class. It will be useful for my kids to see the world in a different view. I believe it will be a humbling experience for many of us to see that countries we consider "old world" are surpassing countries like our own. I am hoping that many of us will realize we need to become competitive with these other countries, because we are definitely not their competition, and we need to want to strive. Other than the chills, these figures make me feel like the future is in my hands and I need to direct it in the best direction.

2 comments:

  1. Google has closed Google Squared. You used an earlier version of the assignment. I changed it November 15. That why print copies are dangerous. (or clearing your cache). It didn't make any difference here. But it could have!

    Thoughtful. Well done. Chilling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! I totally agree with you that we need to want to strive for better education in America. We are definitely not at the level of competition that we need to be and it is very important that we realize this is try to rectify the situation as fast as we can. Excellent Job!

    ReplyDelete