Sunday, October 23, 2011

Blog Assignment 9

first year teacher walks the plank.
Mr. McClung's post is a great journey. Once you read it, there is no wonder how he got the most influential edublog of the year award. At the Teacher's Desk is his summation of his first year of teaching. I can only imagine, for now, what it's like to be "thrown to the wolves". Not that the kids tried eating anyone, but I bet it was intimidating to stand and teach in front of them; especially by yourself and for the first time. You also have your own ideas about how things are going to go. You rush in thinking you're going to find the cure to cancer in a week until the first month flies by and your nose is still in the books figuring out what it is. Lesson plans are tough to keep on track, but I think it's even tougher to realize this is going to take longer than you thought. But that is only part of it. If your kids don't understand the material I think it's pretty obvious more time needs to be spent on that lesson. However, I can see how a novice teacher would begin to doubt themselves and their teaching ability. But Mr. McClung gives great advice, "Listen to your students." I believe this realization comes to many teachers, if not all, who are passionate about their kids' educational journey. When you do this the students truly have a sense that the teacher cares. This makes the extra time on lesson plans and everything worth it.

The second post I read was a well of knowledge. This post gave a more inside look at the inner workings and the foundation of the educational system as we know it; teachers and administration. I love his find your school mom tip. I think that is very good advice, especially when you are dealing with young adults who might be going through some really big emotional changes or if you are just going through a rut and need someone to talk to.  I can also imagine that fellow "grown ups" will have the maturity level of a sassy three year old. I believe it's something we all go through, but it's important to know what your real purpose at that school is. To teach and be there for the kids.
I really enjoyed Mr. McClung's post and I am sure he must have felt great writing them. I think this final reflection project will be fun and in a sense therapeutic. I know I have a great deal to consider and talk about in my reflection. Mr. McClung's posts have helped me to see that.

2 comments:

  1. The cartoon you used is perfect for this post. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary! I think we got a lof of the same things out of this assignment. I really like what you've done with your blog. Keep up the hard work, just a few more weeks! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete