Saturday, October 29, 2011

Blog Assignment 10

teacher vs. educatorAre you a Teacher or an Educator?" is a thought provoking video. I hadn't really thought of the difference between a teacher and an educator. Educator always sounded more sophisticated than teacher, but I knew they were synonymous. In all honesty, I'm struggling to see how they are different. I have been looking in dictionaries to try and find a distinct difference between the two and I cannot. Krissy's blog from the summer 2011 laid it out for me a little better. According to the video an educator inspires and enlightens, whereas a teacher is made out like they just hand out facts and expect students to believe it. I don't agree with this negative connotation of the word "teacher". And if it is going to be viewed negatively then shouldn't we all be saying "I am going to become an educator," versus saying, "I am going to become a teacher"? Maybe I'm taking this way out of context, but I don't see how two words can be synonymous and yet mean something very different. Please! Give me some criticism to help me see what I am missing.
I am an education major because I want to be an educator. Now, just to be clear, I want to inspire my students to learn for themselves and to come forth with new observations and ideas. I want to lead my students by my example. I want to show them that even though something may be hard to accomplish, it doesn't mean you can't have fun while attempting it. I want to guide them through their young stages of their educational journey and give them the tools they will need to continue growing their wealth of information and knowledge. I want to be positive with any and every subject so that my students will take on the same attitude as well. They are the future and I want a part in making it a bright one. This is why I want to be an educator.



a pencil is in a debate with another and comments, Tom Johnson's post, Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home, made me laugh while making me feel like I shouldn't be laughing at all. I was even a tad aggravated after I read it because of Gertrude.
The post starts off with Gertrude, a fellow teacher of Tom's, who exclaims that he cannot let his students take their pencils home for the love of standardized tests. Apparently, studies haven found that children in low income areas that take pencils home score lower on standardized tests. This is absolutely bonkers to me and the point in which I stop laughing with the post. How do pencils have anything to do with scoring lower on tests?! But Gerturde doesn't stop there. She continues to say that kids aren't going to be accountable with their pencils at home and will just play "sick and twisted" games like hangman. At this point I go through comments and reread the post to make sure this isn't another sarcastic poem or something. Unfortunately, it's not. However, I found solace in a comment that was left by Lisa. She basically says that the same "pencil" argument could be made by substituting pencils with books. She is absolutely right.
Another excellent point Lisa makes is the similarities between what Ken Robinson says about killing creativity and Gertrude's attitude. Teachers should allow creativity to blossom within their classrooms. I believe that with creativity comes curiosity and the eagerness to learn. Why would teachers want to destroy that over a bubble test that doesn't truly reflect what a student has truly learned? Seriously, if all we cared about was a test score then wouldn't we teach our children how to take a test, how to fill in these bubbles, and how to watch the clock to see how much time you have left to bubble in how much you know about random facts you are supposed to regurgitate? Teaching is not about the tests, but about the students! And if students want to play games like hangman, write a fictional story, or draw fun little doodles with pencils or pens allow them to express themselves. They may not be learning about algebra or how to read music notes, but at least they are learning about themselves and each other.

3 comments:

  1. Well, Lisa was close. I think, however, that Johnson was referring metaphorically to technology rather than books. But Lisa may be correct. In any even I am giving you the special assignment for those who missed the metaphor. I think it will be useful for you to consider this side of the conversation.

    Additional Assignment: Read these three posts:

    1. Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them

    In that post there is a Special Assignment. Do that assignment in a new post which is Additional Post #1. It does NOT substitute for Blog Post #14 as it did in the Spring semester.

    Due midnight Sunday November 20, 2011.

    2. Metaphor Discussion Update

    3. Jennifer Asked: Why Use Metaphors? Here is My Answer

    4. For more information also see:
    You Missed the Point! It's Not A Pencil…"

    As for teachers/educators the point is that many are trying to create distinct definitions for these two words where in the past they may have meant the same. I am part of that group. You will rarely hear me use the word "teacher" for the new educational experiences I want educators to provide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    Like Dr. Strange said, "many are trying to create distinct definitions for these two words where in the past they may have meant the same." I think that is exactly the problem. In the past the words were synonymous. I do not believe they are synonymous currently. The word teacher has come to be old school teaching. You know - the stand in front of the room and lecture teacher! Someone that doesn't change or is unwilling to change. An educator is someone that is willing to allow the students to learn on their own. Educators promote self-learning with students. Educators use technology to engage students in learning. So to me there is a HUGE difference in a teacher and an educator.

    I know it can be confusing. I just wanted to clarify what I think the difference are!

    Also -- with the metaphor post. It was confusing for me at first. I knew it had to be a trick and realized it was about technology. Still I can see how this is confusing when you are trying to get a lot of work done in a short time!

    All in all - you do a great job with your blog! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,
    The video Are You A Teacher or and Educator made me look at things completely differently. I always said I wanted to be a teacher, but after watching this I want to be and educator. I like your explanation of the two. A teacher should be more focused on what the students learn and how to express themselves while doing so. And its not just about the test scores. A teacher should be there as a mentor and to inspire students.
    Great Job :)

    ReplyDelete