Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blog Assignment 6

Youtube, google scholar, flickr, wikipedia, amazon, skype and other tools used for personal networking
Connectivism is extremely interesting. I never thought about learning through social networks until I enrolled in 310. Slowly, I am learning that valuable information gets "tweeted" nearly every minute. I am realizing that tweeting and blogging is helping me to increase my teaching skills and knowledge. One day I will use it to prepare my students to dive into learning. However, this connectivism gives me a new perspective on technology and students.
I know that when I become a teacher, it will be necessary to introduce my students to computers, the internet, different interesting sites, and hopefully fun and educational apps! The thought that my job as a teacher might become obsolete didn't really phase me until viewing this video. My thoughts were "I'm going to be an elementary teacher. They will always need people like me to perform those jobs." However, if students are self motivated enough to learn on their own and create things mentioned in the video the possibility of my thought just being wishful thinking is very high.
Although these fears are realistic to some teachers, and with good reason, I know that technologically literate teachers will be in high demand. I plan on being one of those most wanted teachers. Even as an elementary school teacher, it is vital for me to prepare my students to know how to learn on their own.

Wendy DrexlerWendy Drexler seems super passionate about connectivism. I could not find any recent blogs about it on her site so I do not know how it went. On the flip side of that comment, I know that several, maybe thousands, of people have heard of this fascinating and futuristic idea of learning and teaching. I also love the fact that she knits!

PLEs was such a cool video. I loved the different programs she used. I have already added the link to this video to delicious and will be scouting out programs like the student used for her PLE. The PLN thing was really starting to scare me, but now I feel encouraged . It also helps A LOT seeing it being easily used by a very smart seventh grader. I am very glad to have watched this video!

3 comments:

  1. Mary, I also want to be a technological literate teacher. I am in elementary also and I think even in the early years technology will be important. I like that you are willing to teach even young children to be self motivated. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary,

    I am glad that you are seeing the value of Twitter. It really is one of the greatest tools you can use to find information that is right for you.

    Great point about technologically literate teachers. I believe the more you know about technology; the better you will be at any job that you can imagine.

    Good post Mary,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I couldn't agree with you more about being a technological literate teacher. I am working on a secondary education degree and I feel more urgent in learning all these new ideas so that I don't become obsolete. Teaching is evolving into a whole new world and our generation of teachers is going to have to adapt. I think back to the video from earlier in the semester that said the top 10 jobs 5 years ago don't even exist anymore. If we don't do a better job of learning and accepting these new methods of teaching, it will not exist either!!

    I got a lot from Ms. Drexler and think she is ahead of her time when it comes to teaching. It is inspiring to learn from all these wonderful minds!!

    Twitter is becoming such an amazing tool and I feel like I have barely cracked the surface on what I can do with it; but, I continue to see some really amazing links on there and have met some truly amazing people.

    ReplyDelete