Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blog Assignment 8

Wordle: Sharing multimedia
Dr. Richard Miller is, in my opinion, a revolutionist in the realm of media, education, and technology. His ideas about sharing are exciting and also breaks a boundary that I had never thought of. I had always defined 'library' as a place where books, ideas, and messages were shared. I also knew that going to the library was like playing a game of chance; you didn't know if you're book was there or not. Books are mistakenly put in the wrong aisles and are basically lost forever within a text jungle. I have heard of people go so far as to steal them and burn them to hide ideas and sources for whatever reason. This isn't sharing and it's not efficient.
    However, I think more people are beginning to realize this and they are using the web to gain, search, and share ideas. I am not trying to bash libraries ( I love South's library) but I am questioning its effectiveness, as far as printed text goes, in this modern day. Dr. Miller's videos constantly made me think of wikis. Wikipedia has its faults, but it somewhat defines what he was talking about.
    His video isn't selling the next thing...it's foretelling us of the next best thing. This project cannot be accomplished by just one person. It will be a joint effort, a collaboration of students, teachers, and everyday people to make this dream reality. Will I be able to do this with my students? I certainly hope so. Will they be able to do it? Without a doubt, I know they will. Using the web to create audio and video reports and documents will be exciting. It will be a challenge, but none the less, a great way for the students to take something they already know and put it to educational purposes to teach not only themselves, but me, other teachers, their parents, and people all over the world.

Well Carly Pugh is definitely a leader behind writing with multi-media. Her post was exquisite and insightful. I am really excited about creating my own lesson plans and I have a few ideas already blossoming in my head (maybe that explains the big frizz). I love her idea for the class blog. It is a great way to show and tell others why we want to be an educator, but also a reminder and reaffirmation to ourselves of why this means so much.

EDM 310 for Dummies hand book
I really lol'd the first time I saw EDM 310 for Dummies. I have felt that way only once from this class, but it didn't last long and I realized I needed to step back and approach the issue differently. I would love to be in a video like this and let loose my frustrations of the day. This video made me feel better about EDM 310 because I realized that I am not the first nor the last person to go through this class. It even showed me this class can be fun (even if you do go crazy in the process). The Chipper series is best described by walking around the elephant in the room. The elephant being EDM 310...or rather challenging ourselves to do the work for EDM 310. Anyway, Chipper can't handle the class so she goes through jobs, classes, and ideas that do not work out at all. The message behind these two videos is that EDM 310 is tough, but we've got to challenge ourselves and grow as educators. This class isn't something to get mad about and drop. It's here to help us prepare for our futures and the futures of our students.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn throws away almost the entire structure of school as we know it. One of the big arguments is including technology, i.e. cell phones, computers, and various websites, in the classroom. Obviously tools like twitter and blogs are helping teachers collaborate throughout the world. This would help the students to diversify and to learn about people and countries on a more personal level. I believe it would also give the students something fun to do at home and in class. And there are so many interesting videos on youtube that would bring a subject like science or history to life! I recently read a sixth grade student's blog and re researched the science behind a brain freeze. It was interesting, funny, and was something that he could easily recognize because of personal experience.
Another topic was getting out of the classroom. The classroom isn't seen as a fun, creative place for students. They are exposed to enriched environments out of school like at home or at the museum. I have to disagree with this argument. Elementary classrooms are some of the most exciting and enriching places I have seen. Museums are great too, but I remember feeling rushed and crowded. I know a lot of my peers felt bored because they couldn't find a connection with everything. You can't touch this or that and basically dilly dally along with the rest of the crowd. In classrooms, you can touch and feel.  I think going outside and taking field trips is great, but it's not enough. Teachers should create connections from subject to student and make the experience special. The classroom should be the place for learning and collaboration. It should reflect the kids and should inspire them as well. But most importantly, the kids and teacher should inspire each other. It shouldn't matter too much on the building but the people in it should matter most.

2 comments:

  1. Mary,

    You have done a wonderful job on the blog post assignment. I agree with you about Dr. Miller, he did do an amazing job on both of the video's. Also you said that more people are starting to realize how great the internet is becoming and you are right. More people are starting to do their own research, and come up with new technological idea's as we speak. Carly did do an amazing job on her post, she set the bar hard while demonstrating her own unique abilities at the same time. What was your favorite video you watched in her post? Mine was the disabilities means possibility video. The video Chipper was a great video as well. I like your analogy about how EDM310 is represented at the elephant. I'm just glad at the end of the video she decides to go back to school. Just like you I hope that more classrooms go through a technology makeover, because that is what is needed for education to catch up to the rest of the world. We are to behind in the classrooms since how most schools don't allow the students to collaborate and communicate through any technology. And your right field trips are great, it is also a great way to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This class isn't something to get mad about and drop. It's here to help us prepare for our futures and the futures of our students." some do. But I am no longer bothered by that. It is nice to deal with students who want to learn!

    "Elementary classrooms are some of the most exciting and enriching places I have seen." yes, but many are not that. And as ypu go up the age ladder it seems to get worse and worse.

    The classroom should be the place for learning and collaboration. It should reflect the kids and should inspire them as well. But most importantly, the kids and teacher should inspire each other. It shouldn't matter too much on the building but the people in it should matter most" Now this I heartily agree with!

    ReplyDelete