Sunday, September 25, 2011

Comments for Teachers #2

I Teach in a Failing School and You Should Too by Tyler Rice was an enlightening post. Rice described his failing school and his students which needed a learning experience that was more than burping back facts. 90% of his students are ethnic minorities, come from undesirable homes, and definitely do not want to be in school. So Rice had to come up with a variety of ways to teach his students; rather, he had to inspire them to want to learn. He did so by giving them more freedom in the classroom and allowing them to explore what interested them. Rice has also had to explore in what interested him, teaching. Because of his predicament as a teacher in a failing school, Rice has become a lifelong learner and has really grown as an educator.
In my comment I wrote about my high school and my teachers. My teachers had walked out of a terrible situation and did not have many resources. But they pulled through and gave me an education that is priceless and unique. I truly believe sometimes it takes an extraordinary situation to bring out the best.

My Element Project is a very interesting approach to learn about the elements. Basically, his students will select an element and discuss how they are similar and different by describing the family, history, structure and  common uses. I commented on how it seems like a great way for students to identify with the subject material.  I believe it will help in interesting them and increase the appreciation for the subject. In another comment I saw a neat activity for students to do in groups or for individual study. Have them complete a periodic puzzle!
periodic table of the internet.
love it 
There was also a link for The Element Song. Very amusing and educational. Click it and see if you can sing along!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that first post looks interesting. I am defiantly going to have to check that out!

    Good job Mary!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete