Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blog Assignment 3

The remains of Enterprise High School after the devastating storm on March 1, 2007
Remains of Enterprise High School after March 1, 2007.
     It's Not about the Technology by Kelly Hines made me think of my high school, EHS. On March 1, 2007, parts of my hometown were completely destroyed by an EF4 tornado. My high school was also destroyed and eight students lost their lives. However, in just a few weeks school resumed for the high school students in various locations of our mangled town. For three years following that horrific day, the high school students went to the junior college, an elementary school, the service station, trailers, and to the practice fields of our non existent high school building. We didn't have the resources to have smart boards, new computers, nice and new projectors, and many other up to date technologies. But we did have pencils, paper, and amazing teachers that pulled through a terrifying and scaring experience to give the BEST education anyone could ever want or ask for.
      Mrs. Hines' blog is absolutely true; I know because I have lived it. Would my high school experience had been better if all the latest technologies of that time had been available? I believe my education would have benefited if that had been the case. However, I would not trade a classroom full of technology for my amazing high school experience. My teachers taught me more than math or french. They taught me to learn for myself, to strive for the best, and to never forget where I come from. Can you teach that on a smartboard?
       If teachers and schools have the resources to provide technology then do it. However, make sure the quality of teaching does not decline as the value of technology increases. Practice what you teach, teachers! If you want your students to learn, do a little learning for yourselves!


      Mr. Fisch's blog post, Is It Ok to Be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher? was fascinating to me because of the literacy comparison. This is part of my comment to him, "I found your comment comparing illiteracy fascinating. In the past I considered myself to not be the best at computers. However, I was usually willing to work through whatever technological issue I was having and most of the time I was successful. This process was the same for me when I was learning to read and write. The more I tried and practiced the better I became at it. I cannot imagine anyone without the ability to read today even though there are many people who can't. Twenty years from now I am going to have the same thought with one adjustment. I cannot imagine anyone without the ability to use a computer today even though there are many people who can't."
      One other major topic that stayed with me was how parents and teachers excuse themselves from being technologically literate. Teachers do have a lot on their plates; families, students, parents, policies, grades, lesson plans, and the list goes on. However, teachers have a duty to their students who will one day run this country and influence the world. Teachers also owe it to themselves to be up to date. Technology can help in lesson plans, organization, and communicating with anyone associated with the classroom. If it is beneficial to the students and the teacher then why not utilize it in the classroom? If you want you're students to work smarter, not harder then do likewise. Like I said before, Practice what you teach, teachers!

       Wow. Once again, I am shocked and it's all because of technology. How many times will it continue to amaze me? According to this chart by Gary Hayes, the numbers just keep on going. It's almost unbelievable how many people are using social media technology hundreds of times a day. I've always heard and seen sitcoms about people who can't live without their smart phone or computer. Now I know the movies are not just exaggerated portrayals of people. These people are real and are out there somewhere blogging, tweeting, sharing, watching, recording, typing, and face-booking. They might even be doing all of those things at once!
     I realize many of these people have to constantly be checking and updating everything for their jobs; but, do they ever have time for anything else? What about cooking or fishing? Those are two of my favorite things to do. However, many of those numbers are coming from people who are younger than I am. In a couple of years, some of these youngsters will be my students. It seems to me that both student and teacher will have many things to show, teach, and learn from each other.


A toddler using a laptop
       A Vision of Students Today by Michael Wesch shows my generation's attitude toward school, yet it was made nearly four years ago. Four years ago, I was a sophomore in high school. I didn't have facebook, twitter, or email. Today I have three different email accounts, facebook, twitter, skype, windows live, three internet browsers, a smart phone, and a laptop. A lot has happened in four years... But what has changed in the class room since the 1960's? Really, nothing comes to my mind. I wrote book reports in high school that my mother had to write in elementary school. History, math, most sciences, and English have not changed a bit and neither has the teaching style. However, people and technology are changing.
        As a future teacher, the video proves to me that my students will need to be prepared to face their technological tomorrows. I need to teach in a fresh and creative way to show my students that the other subjects are just as important too. I know that technology, as well as my own creativity can help me give the best instruction to my pupils.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your post on "It's not about the technology". My high school did not have a lot of technology, and we made it through just fine with paper, pencils, pens, and textbooks. Yes, it probably would have been more beneficial to have updated technology, but like you said, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Overall great post! Can't wait to read more.
    -Amelia

    ReplyDelete